Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Run baby run

"You must be running away from something, or running towards something." The old Russian man said to me while we watched the sunset dip from sky to ocean, illuminating desert dunes that seemingly defied gravity to plunge sharply into the water.
"I'll take towards, thank you very much."
The site was Jericoacoara, Brazil.
He had just heard of the places I'd been, and the ones I would be traveling to and from his answer, was convinced that I had a messy part of my life I was escaping.
I was defiant that he had to be wrong, but tonight as I thought of my current situation of being back in Singapore after 8 years abroad, it dawned on me that I had faced one of my greatest fears - that of actually living in Singapore - head on without really noticing. Yes, there were the little annoyances, like feeling like a foreigner in my own country, thanks to looks that look more Thai or Filipino than Chinese, or the massive heat wave that my body revolted against. A larger gripe than that was possibly the light wind and lack of swell.

"You have to look at Singapore in context of Asia, you're in an incredible launching pad for so much" Barry had mentioned years ago. Last week's trips to Siem Reap, China and Hong Kong must have finally calmed my feathers down, and the new friends at the sea sports club were starting to make up for the fickle conditions.

I didn't think I'd say this even a week earlier, but living here permently was something I am starting to come to peace with, just in case that does happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment